Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I'm the Lady You've Looked for, Write to Me and Escape

When I was little, my parents had an old cassette of music from the 70's called something like, AM Radio's Greatest Hits that featured songs like "Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain and Tennille, "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullilvan, "Knock Three Times" by Tony Orlando and Dawn, and "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes.

R, JD, our friend Ruff Draft and I were having Pineapple, Tequila, and Lime Sorbet after a dinner of Spanish Rice, Fresh Sweet Corn, and Tempeh Tacos last night. Ruff Draft commented that the sorbet was refreshing and tropical, like a Pina Colada, which prompted a discussion of the song, "Escape". He'd never really listened to the song, but JD and I were quite familiar with it: a man is bored in his relationship, so he looks at the personals, an ad catches his eye, and he writes back. He goes to meet the lady and it's his current significant other (JD and Ruff Draft thought it was his wife, I always assumed it was his girlfriend), and they discover that there's a lot about each other that they didn't know, and it can be inferred that the couple is going to stay together and do all the things mentioned in the song with each other.

Of course, during this discussion, we started singing the chorus. I had always thought the song was a bit morbid because of the line, "If you like making love at midnight in the tombs of a cave," which I questioned JD about. He laughed and said it was actually, "If you like making love at midnight in the cool summer rain," which, I had to admit made a hell of a lot more sense, and seemed logical enough, although sort of weird, because there's already a line about getting caught in the rain....Fast forward to today, when I began writing this post, and decided to look up the real lyrics. It's actually,"If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes on The Cape," according to Wikipedia, which I must say relieves me a bit. I didn't want to forever associate the song with some kind of rain fetish.

1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

OMG, i love this post. i'm old, so i remember when this song was "in" an i have always had issues with some of those lyrics. The song itself always struck me as just bizarre anyway, but for its time, it was perfect.